Monday, April 23, 2012

Interlude: overnight sleeper train in Thailand


Thailand is famous for a few things: lady boys, weird ping pong shows, beautiful beaches down south and their train system. It is the most cost effective method of transportation to travel around Thailand and also to go to Lao or Cambodia. It is about 10% more expensive than the bus, but the comfort level is incomparable as the sleeper trains are massive bunk bed on a train getting you from point A to point B. I decided to experience it for myself and I was pleasantly surprised! Although the train was a bit old, it was very clean (until i arrived to the washroom for a nasty stench of ammonium) and very cool with the air conn system. As I was running with 3 hours of sleep, my trip to Chiang Mai felt very fast as I blacked out by 10pm and woke up the next day at 8am. After drinking a rather expensive orange juice, we were informed that the train is late (which is absolutely normal in Thailand) by an hour so I passed out once again. The two danish girls below me had to wake me up. I woke up of my daze and ventured into my final stretch of my trip: Chiang Mai.

No comments:

Post a Comment